[CMake] What is the default build type?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Aug 2 11:55:35 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 3:03 AM, Bo Zhou <bo.schwarzstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> It depends on the Generator.
>
> To the Makefile, the actual type was controlled by the compiler options.
> If you don't specific any type, usually it means non-debug and
> non-optimization because the CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS is empty as default. This is
> critical, so usually people should specific the actual type they want to
> build.
>
> To the generator of the IDE, such as Visual Studio and Xcode, the
> CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE doesn't make sense but we have to use
> CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES, then CMake will create the several configuration
> sets for the IDE from the CMAKE_C|CXX_FLAGS_{CONFIG} .

This thread inspired me to write up how we have been doing it in some of
the projects I work on for quite a while now,

https://blog.kitware.com/cmake-and-the-default-build-type/

It certainly isn't the only way, but it provides an easy path to ensure
things show up in the GUIs, respect build types passed in, etc.