[CMake] CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET vs CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT

James Turner james.turner at kdab.com
Wed Sep 21 04:54:54 EDT 2016

> On 20 Sep 2016, at 16:00, Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com> wrote:
>
> When setting CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT to the unversioned directory name (using Xcode 8, as it happens) and setting CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET, I get this error:
>

> -- The CXX compiler identification is AppleClang 8.0.0.8000038
> CMake Error at /Applications/CMake.app/Contents/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/Platform/Darwin.cmake:76 (message):
> CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET is '10.10' but CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT:
>
> "/Applications/Xcode-8.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk"
>
> is not set to a MacOSX SDK with a recognized version. Either set
> CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT to a valid SDK or set CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to
> empty.
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
> /Applications/CMake.app/Contents/share/cmake-3.6/Modules/CMakeSystemSpecificInformation.cmake:36 (include)
> CMakeLists.txt:37 (project)
>

> I'm able to suppress the error by using the versioned (symlink) directory; but isn't the premise of this error message invalid? As I understand it, since Xcode 7 (or perhaps earlier?), there is no requirement that the deployment target match the SDK version.

I’m seeing a similar error when setting CMAKE_OSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to 10.7 with XCode 8, and leaving CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT unset. I’m couldn’t identify where (from  Modules/Platform/Darwin.cmake) the detected value of _CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT is computed. (I don’t wish to explicitly set it)

Kind regards,
James