[CMake] FindProtobuf in specified dirs

Homero Cardoso de Almeida homerocda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:56:16 EDT 2016

Hello,

I'm working on enhancing the build process in my company by using CMake,
and I'm having trouble to have it find the Google Protocol Buffers binary
and libraries in a specific directory in my workspace.

Due to several reasons, we cannot install protobuffers directly in our
environment, so I have it download and unpack a zip file with the
protobuffer library and header files in a directory in my home folder.
However, when I use the find_package directive giving said folder as a hint
it complains that it could not find a protobuf-config.cmake file and fails.
I couldn't find any such file anywhere, the only thing coming close is a "
protobuf-config.cmake.in" in the protobuf source tree and I don't know if I
can use that.

Do I have to provide my own protobuf-config.cmake file, or I'm using it
completely wrong?

We are frozen in protocol buffers 2.4.1. I guess we can upgrade to 2.7.0,
but we can't use 3.0.x.

Thanks,
Homero.