[CMake] Single Letter Omissions From File Path In Linker

Randy Turner randallsturner13 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 10:04:42 EDT 2016

Hello! I've been running into a frustrating issue on and off for the past
year. The project will build the source files correctly but when it comes
to linking the executables, I always get the same error. The specific file
varies, but the failure mode is always the same. For example:

<Linking>
"C:\\Users\\User\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\<six digit temp file>", line xxx:
error #10008-D: cannot find file
"C:/Repos/operatingsystem/CMakeFiles/nvm_validate_ierator.dir/os/nvm/nvm_
validate_iterator.c.obj"

As you can see, the file path is missing a "t" in the first occurrence of
the word "iterator" and so that file definitely does not exist. A file
exists in the location with correct spelling, but somehow that hardcoded
path in that temporary file has dropped a letter. The specific letter that
gets dropped varies along with which file is allegedly missing. We noticed
that requiring people to store the repository in their root directory
greatly cut down on the occurrence of this issue but it is returning with
more frequency as of late. Once it occurs once, CMake builds are never
successful again and the only way that I have been able to completely clear
the problem has been to reinstall Windows and set up the build environment
again.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Is there a way to change the directory for
those linker files so that they're not in the Temp folder?