[CMake] Adding Cmake version in online documentation

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 09:22:16 EST 2016

On 11/08/2016 03:11 PM, Dvir Yitzchaki wrote:

> But how do you know which version to declare on cmake_minimum_required?
> If this feature will be added it won't be far from writing a script that scans the commands you use and outputs the first appropriate version.

Strictly speaking cmake_minimum_required(VERSION) is not about command
availability but rather about behavior (cmake policies).
CMake does not diagnose or prevent use of commands that were introduced
after the current policy version.

No automation can detect which behaviors you might expect or require
based on the commands you are using.

I'd start by requesting the highest possible version I could justify
(e.g. based on availability on target platforms and user convenience)
and then start from there.
For existing projects policy warnings help migrating to newer behaviors
and versions as they become available / justifiable.

Nils