[CMake] Two phase install?

Scott Aron Bloom scott at towel42.com
Thu Mar 24 14:09:08 EDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Hendrik Sattler [mailto:post at hendrik-sattler.de]
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2016 3:54 AM
To: Alan W. Irwin; Scott Aron Bloom
Cc: cmake at cmake.org
Subject: Re: [CMake] Two phase install?

Am 24. März 2016 10:14:40 MEZ, schrieb "Alan W. Irwin" <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca>:
>On 2016-03-24 03:59-0000 Scott Aron Bloom wrote:
>
>> That method does NOT work with windows...  And since the visual
>studio project has the external as a single command, (not sure if its
>calling nmake or the new build cmd) the proeject is not run in
>parallel.
>
>I am pretty sure ExternalProject_Add only works with generators
>associated with build commands you can run from the command line such
>as make, nmake, jom, ninja, etc..  So, for MSVC the way you arrange
>that is avoid all the visual studio generators, and instead use one of
>"NMake Makefiles", "NMake Makefiles JOM", or "Ninja".

No. Just as with cmake-generated solutions, you can build those on the command line using msbuild or devenv, the one used by cmake depends on the cmake version. You can even use cmake itself to trigger the right build command for those. Parallel building must be enabled by hand when using msbuild. For devenv, the setting from the IDE is used.

HS

The final hurdle Im hitting.  When ctest is run, on windows I get the complaint that the configuration is not set.

Is there any way to set the -C option to ctest?

Scott