[CMake] Howto install executables that aren't targets

Winfried winkus4u at arcor.de
Wed Mar 9 16:12:55 EST 2016

Eric Noulard wrote

> winkus4u@

> >:
>
>> Yes, when using 'bin' instead of '/usr/bin' ( with PROGRAMS and without
>> RUNTIME) it works.
>>
>> But nevertheless it's a bit sad because I used the absolute paths with
>> consideration for two reasons:
>>
>> 1. As I mentioned it's a Qt/KDE program (still version 3 at the moment).
>> Depending on the target distro the application shall be stored at the
>> usual
>> place for that distribution (SuSE: /opt/kde3, Debian/Ubuntu: /usr/local,
>> ...) But those compilers and their shell scripts have nothing to do with
>> Qt/KDE stuff and should normally be installed at /usr/bin regardless
>> where
>> the other binaries go to.
>>

> I do not get your point? If you build an installer (using CPack) which has
> relative path in it (./bin) or is relocatable (.rpm  or .deb) then you may
> perfectly
> chose the prefix **at install time** be it /opt/kde3 or /usr or /opt ....

The point is that there are two different fractions of binaries that shall
be installed at **two different locations for one package install** :
-- the robot programming platform: the main part of the package, KDE/Qt
Software (program sources in subdir 'src'),
       these are **targets that shall be relocatable** for the needs of
different distributions

   -----versus-----

-- the underlying compilers (binaries only) and skripts: nessesary tools,
third party, console Software (in subdir 'tools'),
       shall **always** go to **/usr/bin** because console software like
compilers are usually installed there (in almost every
       distribution)

If absolute paths do not work for generating rpm-packages via CPack the only
way to get this done is to put the compilers and scipts into another
package. Do you agree or not?