[CMake] Visual Studio and ExternalProject_Add

Kevin Brightwell kevin.brightwell2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 00:45:27 EST 2016

I've been having great success with using ExternalProject over the terrible
git submodules. However, when using Visual Studio, the following error
happens:

 Performing download step (git clone) for 'catch-lib'
2>  Cloning into 'catch-lib'...
2>  Note: checking out 'tags/v1.3.4'.
2>
2>  You are in 'detached HEAD' state. You can look around, make experimental
2>  changes and commit them, and you can discard any commits you make in
this
2>  state without impacting any branches by performing another checkout.
2>
2>  If you want to create a new branch to retain commits you create, you may
2>  do so (now or later) by using -b with the checkout command again.
Example:
2>
2>    git checkout -b <new-branch-name>
2>
2>  HEAD is now at 3b4edd7... Build for v1.3.4
2>  fatal: 'submodule' appears to be a git command, but we were not
2>  able to execute it. Maybe git-submodule is broken?
2>  CMake Error at
C:/Users/kevin/dev/sol2/vendor/tmp/catch-lib-gitclone.cmake:58 (message):
2>    Failed to init submodules in:
2>    'C:/Users/kevin/dev/sol2/vendor/src/catch-lib'

​The CMake file is located here:
https://github.com/Nava2/sol2/blob/cmake-build/CMakeLists.txt

Steps I've verified:

   - git.exe is on my system PATH
   - The submodule URL is valid
   - Builds on OSX/Linux
   - Reinstalled git (twice)​

​I'm new to Visual Studio (I work primarily with Linux/OSX), so I'm sure
I'm missing something along the way.

Thanks,​

--
Kevin Brightwell*. BESc., BSc.*