[CMake] CMake terminology

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 10:04:36 EDT 2016

> On 25-Jun-16 10:44, Craig Scott wrote:
>
> One of the slight wrinkles here is that the distinction between configure
> and generation times is now a little stronger due to generator expressions.
> In order to really understand generator expressions, you cannot really
> avoid getting your head around configure and generate being distinct parts
> of the process. Personally, I tend to gloss over the distinction when
> explaining things so as not to distract the reader, but if I'm explaining
> something to do with generator expressions, then the distinction has to be
> made and I deliberately use the terms *configure* and *generation* stages.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the link between "generator expressions" and
> "confusing configure+generate stage". Do you mean "generator expressions"
> on "configure+generate stage" vs "build stage"?

Generator expression came up because one needs to evaluate some variable
value [apparently]at "build time"
like knowing the exact name (with path) of a target (using TARGET_FILE
generator expression in custom command).

Knowing that "generator expression" are in fact evaluated during
"generation step" and not really at build time
is an implementation detail. (Which is a big one for implementors) but not
really important to user.

--
Craig Scott
Melbourne, Australia