[CMake] cmake 3.5 vs 3.6 + qt

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jul 18 13:16:49 EDT 2016

On 07/15/2016 04:50 AM, David Callu wrote:
>> I'm using 3.5.2 for a qt based project and I've updated to 3.6 and the RCC feature
>> seems to fail. Here's a summary
>> When I swtiched to 3.6, the compiler can no longer link to the generated rcc files.
>
> Same thing on my side. I call in my code functions defined in generated .cpp from moc/rcc.
> Functions name are based on file path used during .cpp generation.
> And this path change from cmake 3.5 to 3.6.

The location likely changed in the topic by Sebastian Holtermann merged here:

 Merge topic 'autogen-updates'
 https://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=76e793b9

The goal is to support same-named files in different subdirectories.
See this issue:

 https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/12873
 https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=12873

and discussion on the dev list here:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/16229

I'm not particularly familiar with rcc/AUTORCC/etc. but it is not clear
why the path to the generated file matters.  CMake generates a file and
adds the proper references to it.  Its location is an implementation
detail.  I don't think our documentation ever guaranteed a specific
location.

Please post a more complete code example that shows the failure case.

Thanks,
-Brad