[CMake] Unable to find source files in different directory using target_sources(INTERFACE)

Craig Scott craig.scott at crascit.com
Sat Jul 9 20:23:46 EDT 2016

Sorry, hit the send button prematurely. To achieve your desired goal of
creating a header only library as a target in Visual Studio, it somewhat
depends on what you want to do with that library. If you just want it to be
there so you can see the header in the IDE, then simply defining a dummy
custom target is one approach I've seen people use. E.g.

  add_custom_target(foo SOURCES foo.h)

If you want to actually link to the target so it can provide header search
path dependencies, then the approach you tried is probably the closest
(with the use of absolute paths as described in my previous email). As you
discovered though, it adds the header to the sources list of each project
linking against it, which it sounds like you want to avoid. An interface
library doesn't create build output on its own, so it doesn't make sense
for it to have its own list of sources. The only way sources make sense for
it is for those sources to be added to anything linking against it, which
is the behaviour you are seeing.

--
Craig Scott
Melbourne, Australia