[CMake] Help for a cmake newbie

vadtec vadtec at vadtec.net
Sat Jan 30 21:42:32 EST 2016

Let me start by saying I consider my self a cmake newbie. I've made simple makefiles and simple cmake files, but anything more complicated has to this point eluded me. Not for a lack of trying, searching, researching, trail, and a great deal of error: I simply have not been able to achieve the things I'm after. If the sort of questions I'm asking have been answered elsewhere (as I'm sure they have), I apologize for asking them again. That being said, I realize I'm going to be asking some questions that my Google-Fu has failed me in answering. Forgive me my failings, but I'm at my witts end.

I have a project that I'm building on Linux that has a server component and a client component that also needs to run on Windows. It uses several libraries that I want to version lock so I run into fewer issues with cross compiling and feature creep.

The project is laid out like this:

/home
    mydir/
        project/
            build/
            bundle/
            deps/
                curl-7.43.0/
                libiconv-1.14/
                libpng-1.6.18/
                libssh2-1.6.0/
                openssl-1.0.2d/
                sqlite/
                tinycthread/
                zlib-1.2.8/
            include/
                client/
                    client.h
                common/
                    config.h
                    common_funcs.h
                server/
                    server.h
            src/
                client/
                    client.c
                common/
                    common_funcs.c
                server/
                    server.c

curl, libiconv, libpng, libssh2, and zlib are the libs I want to build and use both on Linux and Windows. I know all of those are available on Linux and I could use the system installed versions, but I want to use the same vesions on Windows as well. The server is only built on Linux, while the client needs to be built for Linux and Windows. All the libs, headers, etc go into the build directory, and the final "make install" puts everything into the bundle directory, so it can be packaged for distribution.

The client needs the curl, libiconv, libpng, libssh2, openssl, and zlib libraries. tinycthread is compiled directly into the client, so that's not an issue.

The server needs the curl, libiconv, libssh2, openssl, and zlib libraries. tinycthread and sqlie are compiled directly into the server, so that's not an issue.

Ideally, I'd like my cmake file to build the deps that need to be built, build the server and client for Linux, and finally build the client for Windows. Yes, all from the same cmake file. I realize this will probably have to be done with multiple cmake files or a bash script, but that's ok.

I think building the libs can be done with custom commands or targets, but I haven't been able to figure out how. I haven't been able to get cmake to use only my versions of the libs I've compiled. Some of the libs are being found from the system wide versions, some are coming from my directory.

My main problem is getting cmake to use only my locally installed/compiled copies of the libs. I need those libs to live along side the binaries, and using the versions I compile is important.

Rather than provide the CMakeLists.txt I've been using, I'd like it if someone could provide an example file that would compile the above libraries (all of which use autoconf or custom compile scripts) and the client and server for Linux and Windows. I'm 100% certain I am not doing things correctly when it comes to the layout of the CMakeLists.txt, so I'd like to see something fresh from someone with much more experience in build script creation.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Vadtecvadtec at vadtec.net