[CMake] Changing the the current generator in CMake GUI

mozzis morris at maynidea.com
Fri Jan 15 19:19:17 EST 2016

Well, CMAKE is the thing that is conflating this idea of a "generator" (which is clearly a concept in CMAKE's own domain of "build configuration generator") with the idea of "platform" or "architecture" (which is a concept in the domain of certain kinds of build tools, such as a C compiler.) It would be healthier if platform/arch were broken out as a separate item in CMAKE, i.e. CMAKE recognizes that some build tools have this concept, but is (possibly) agnostic about how it is represented. I assume that it is not really possible to do so in the config files that drive CMAKE at present, only because I have never seen it done and did not find it when I went looking. Instead, that information is scattered across several files in the CMakeFiles folder.

Thank you for the hints and examples about using batch files. I may try to implement that scheme for building support libraries that come dependent on CMake. But I don't believe that I will ever use CMake for any product I am in control of, mainly because I have seen what an unmaintainable mess it creates for project files. And at least partly as a result, since there is no direct comprehension on the part of the developer/maintainer as to the project file structure, it becomes impossible to adequately manage that structure, so making large-scale improvements is nearly impossible without starting over from scratch. In addition, the build process becomes way inefficient. For example, once when I was really at loose ends due to a management blow-up, I reworked the build system for HDF5 on Visual Studio so it had "normal" project files that could be used to build for various platforms and configurations. The resulting build time was cut by a factor of 5, plus it became much easier (for me anyways) to be able to do things like change the output file names based on platform, something I have so far found impossible to do with CMake. [Once again, it really has no concept of this.]
I would do the same thing for OpenCV, but it is ten times worse than HDF5 in this regard. For instance, apparently project files are modified <i>as part of the MSVS build process</i>, so that Visual Studio always complains about project files needing to be reloaded after a build. This is a recipe for mysterious bugs that you will never be able to fix.

I have created/maintained multi-platform projects, and I find that the effort needed to produce efficient, readable makefiles for each platform is worth it. Once done, I can change the platform or the library type or similar parameters by changing one switch in each platform's makefile. Plus there are fewer gotchas at runtime, as not querying the build environment for every build ensures more consistent behavior in the binaries I am going to distribute.

Thanks again to all for the comments on this thread. It is good to know that development continues on this tool. At some point, it may become more interesting for me.