[CMake] Install destination problem

Chris Johnson cxjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 17:26:38 EST 2016

In all of my CMakeLists.txt files, I include a settings file, like so:

include(global_settings.cmake)

Inside global_settings.cmake, I have a line like this:

set( CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/install )

When I run "make install" on my development system, the files are correctly
installed where I expect to find them, in a subdirectory of my build
directory named "install".

But when I tried to do the same on our production server just now, it tried
to install the binaries into /usr/local/bin.

It's as if $CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX did not get set.

What am I doing wrong?