[CMake] Best Practise for Multiple Platforms of External Project

Bo Zhou bo.schwarzstein at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 08:29:08 EST 2016

Hi

In my project I have to compile the same external projects by the different
generators, is that possible to handle this cases by ExternalProject_Add ?

I tried this way, firstly, just download the repository

ExternalProject_Add(OPENEXR_DOWNLOAD
    PREFIX ${OPENEXR_PREFIX}
    GIT_REPOSITORY https://github.com/openexr/openexr.git
    GIT_TAG v2.2.0
    CONFIGURE_COMMAND ""
    BUILD_COMMAND ""
    INSTALL_COMMAND "")

ExternalProject_Get_Property(OPENEXR_DOWNLOAD SOURCE_DIR)
SET(OPENEXR_SOURCE_DIR ${SOURCE_DIR})

Then I tried to create a specific new target to use specific generator

ExternalProject_Add(OPENEXR_VC11
  DEPENDS OPENEXR_DOWNLOAD
  SOURCE_DIR ${OPENEXR_SOURCE_DIR}/IlmBase)

Seems can't work, it requires an non-empty SOURCE_DIR, but before
downloading, it's empty :(

So is there any better way to do this ? Thanks very much !