[CMake] CPack change file extension

Kristian kristianonline28 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 13:05:48 EDT 2016

Hey,

you're working on Windows, right?

I think you can do that if you create an additional target and call that
target. So let's say, you have this 'hello.cpp', and you generate with
CMake a solution. This is an example of a CMakeLists.txt

> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.4)
> project(cpack_zip_test)

> set(SOURCES hello.cpp)

> add_executable(${PROJECT_NAME} ${SOURCES})

> set(CPACK_GENERATOR "ZIP")
> set(CPACK_PACKAGE_EXECUTABLE ${PROJECT_NAME})
> set(CPACK_PACKAGE_FILE_NAME ${PROJECT_NAME}-package)

> add_custom_target(rename_zip
> COMMAND rename ${CPACK_PACKAGE_FILE_NAME}.zip
${CPACK_PACKAGE_FILE_NAME}.docx
> WORKING_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR})

> include(CPack)

When I call now something like this on the command line (Visual Studio 12
2013)

> devenv cpack_zip_test.sln /Rebuild Debug /project PACKAGE.vcxproj

and afterwards some like this

> devenv cpack_zip_test.sln /Rebuild Debug /project rename_zip.vcxproj

then this is some way of renaming your zip into a docx file. But I do not
know, if there is a more automatic way to do this. I tried it with an
additional parameter in the 'add_custom_target'-command (see at the DEPENDS
part):

> add_custom_target(rename_zip
>     COMMAND rename ${CPACK_PACKAGE_FILE_NAME}.zip
${CPACK_PACKAGE_FILE_NAME}.docx
> DEPENDS PACKAGE
> WORKING_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR})

But when I call 'devenv cpack_zip_test.sln /Rebuild Debug /project
rename_zip.vcxproj', I would assume, that first the PACKAGE target is
called, and afterwards the 'rename_zip' target is called. But that's not
the case. Maybe some other person can tell me, if this is a bug or this is
intention...