[CMake] Version compatibility?

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 09:48:24 EDT 2016

On 04/25/2016 02:29 PM, Craig Scott wrote:
> I personally have found myself having to look up to his sort of
> version info a lot lately. It sounds like others do too. Perhaps a
> more sustainable approach would be to include the version details in
> the CMAKE docs themselves. For each command, module, variable, etc.
> it's documentation could state the version it was added. Some may
> warrant further info for version(s) where significant changes were
> made (eg keywords added to a command). Realistically, it would have to
> be done progressively and obviously with agreement from the Kitware
> side. It would only work if it became part of the change process
> whereby any new features or changes must include such version details.
> It would be interesting to hear what Kitware think of the idea. Any
> chance?

I've also made use of such information from time to time but I think it
has been the exception and it doesn't normally come up during my regular
development workflow.

I assume for most projects there is a single
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION).
Which means to see what is and what isn't available I only have to check
that specific version's documentation.

I am curious as to what kind of use case results in having to require
cross-version information as provided by the compatibility matrix "a lot".

Nils