[CMake] cmake_check_build_system is causing a rebuild at "make install"

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 08:45:09 EDT 2015

On 14.10.2015 02:01, John Cary wrote:
> For future reference, one can determine what triggered the reconfigure
> by doing
>
>   make install VERBOSE=1
>
> It appears not to be enough to have configured with
> -DCMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE.
>
> In our case, for reasons we have not yet figured out, the depend
> file for a particular .cu.o object built for a test was what was newer
> and causing the rebuild. For so-far not understood reasons, this

I am guessing the behaviour has nothing to do with the "install" target
but rather the default "all" target which "install" depends on as well.
Hence you should see the same behaviour when running plain "make" twice.

FindCUDA.cmake forces reconfiguration so dependencies generated at build
time can be reprocessed:
https://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Modules/FindCUDA.cmake;h=1fc582fae0dee409fca05af6c331c7377596bb7d;hb=refs/heads/master#l396

Nils