[CMake] Best way to handle application data path for local run vs. installation

Daniel Schepler dschepler at scalable-networks.com
Mon Nov 30 19:42:21 EST 2015

For what it's worth, what we do here is have the executable search for a file named paths.cfg in the same directory it's located in, and read settings from that file to get the paths to load resources from.  Then our CMake system is set up to create one paths.cfg when building, and another when installing.  Of course, we use Qt which makes it easy both to get the executable location directory (which you mentioned you don't want to do), and to read a configuration file.  Also, our installation is designed to be in a self-contained directory, e.g. /opt/Scalable/product; but in an installation to system directories, you wouldn't want to clutter /usr/bin with a paths.cfg file, so you would probably want to have a hard-coded system directory fallback compiled in to use if paths.cfg doesn't exist.

A possible hack that just occurred to me: maybe you could make use of the different RPATH by compiling a simple path configuration "plugin" - the executable would try to dlopen("mypaths.so") and if that's found call functions in the plugin to get the paths.  The plugin would only be compiled in the build directory, and not installed.  Of course, that would be totally non-portable to Windows.
--
Daniel Schepler