[CMake] SuperProject package/install

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Nov 12 12:07:16 EST 2015

On 2015-11-11 11:04-0800 Rob McDonald wrote:

> Right now, the Main ExternalProject_add INSTALL_COMMAND is "".  How
> can I change this (or add another step) to build the package target (I
> don't want to just hard-code make package, as it should work with MSVC
> too).  I've tried things like '${CMAKE_COMMAND} cmake--build package'
> but haven't had any luck.

Hi Rob:

Here is what I suggest you use:

INSTALL_COMMAND ${INSTALL_COMMAND}

where for the Unix-like case (Linux, Mac OS X, Cygwin,
MinGW-w64/MSYS2, etc) I recommend you set the INSTALL_COMMAND variable to
something like

${ENV_EXECUTABLE} PATH=${EPA_PATH} ${EPA_PARALLEL_BUILD_COMMAND} install

where ENV_EXECUTABLE is the Unix env command, PATH is set
appropriately for that command, and EPA_PARALLEL_BUILD_COMMAND is
typically "make -j4".  Of course, this logic is currently only suitable for
the Unix case, but once I extend my own epa_build project to use MSVC, I
plan to set the INSTALL_COMMAND variable to whatever is appropriate
("nmake install"?) for that case.

Hope these ideas help.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin