[CMake] Eclipse .cproject file (support for multiple build configurations)

Ette, Anthony (CDS) Anthony.R.Ette at controlsdata.com
Thu May 28 15:24:13 EDT 2015

To Whom It May Concern:

I'm using Cmake 3.2.2, specifically the "Eclipse CDT4 - NMake Makefiles" generator.  My application is multi-platform but common source.  We were using managed Makefiles for UNIX and Visual Studio solutions/projects for Windows but we'd like to ditch all of this in favor of the more flexible Cmake.  That said, we were using two different build configurations in our Eclipse projects and we would switch between active build configuration depending on which platform we were developing for at the time.  Using Cmake with the -G option I describe above seems to always result in a single build configuration (named "Configuration") in the Eclipse .cproject file.  Does Cmake Eclipse CDT 4 generator support multiple build configurations?  If so, how do I set it up?

On a related note: it seems as though cmake was designed assuming separate source for each platform but we have common source.  Ideally, we'd like all the targets to be defined within a single file (e.g. Makefile) so when we switch platforms, we don't have to rerun Cmake to regenerate Makefiles for that platform.  Can cmake handle this kind of setup or is the advise to just split the source and clone & own for each platform to avoid rerunning cmake when you switch?

Thank you for your time and support,
Anthony Ette
Systems Engineer
Simulation and Modeling

Controls and Data Services Inc.
Part of the Rolls-Royce Group
7661 N Perimeter Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46241

tel: +1 (317) 230-6943
mob: +1 (317) 864-7975
email: Anthony.R.Ette at controlsdata.com<mailto:Anthony.R.Ette at controlsdata.com>
www.controlsdata.com<http://www.controlsdata.com/>

This e-mail (including attachments) contains contents owned by Rolls-Royce plc and its subsidiaries, affiliated companies or customers and covered by the laws of England and Wales, Brazil, US, or Canada (federal, state or provincial). The information contained in this email is intended to be confidential, may be legally privileged and subject to export controls which may restrict the access to and transfer of the information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, interception or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may subject you to further legal action. Reply to the sender if you received this email by accident, and then delete the email and any attachments.