[CMake] cmake 3.x + vs2013, "unknown compiler", re: bug 15057

Peter Karasev karasevpa at gmail.com
Wed May 27 23:37:33 EDT 2015

I encountered a situation like described here:
https://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=15057

The bug seems to be closed as "not reproducible"; here is one way to cause
it:

 1.    Have %PATH% environment variable contain C:/cygdrive/bin , which
also contains a copy of cmake 2.x (for me it was 2.8.12)

 2.    Invoke cmake-gui.exe from cmake version 3.x

 3.    try to generate VS2013 solution, it fails saying unknown compiler.

The workaround is to purge your PATH environment variable so that no copies
of cmake.exe are there.
It still feels like a bug
​ that could be fixed​
; why should cmake 3.x allow old versions to interfere with it at runtime?
​At a minimum, some kind of warning would make the issue more obvious and
save people some time. ​

Peter  Karasev
karasevpa at gmail.com