[CMake] Problem Compiling on Solaris 10 x86

Konstantin Andreev andreev at swemel.ru
Mon May 18 12:01:56 EDT 2015

[posting to the old thread for reference]

On 09 Dec 2011, Christopher Hylarides wrote:

> I'm trying to build cmake on Solaris 10 x86 and am getting the following error:
> [ 96%] Building CXX object Source/CMakeFiles/ccmake.dir/CursesDialog/cmCursesWidget.cxx.o
> [ 96%] Building CXX object Source/CMakeFiles/ccmake.dir/CursesDialog/ccmake.cxx.o
> Linking CXX executable ../bin/ccmake
> Undefined  first referenced
>  symbol        in file
> wattr_on   CMakeFiles/ccmake.dir/CursesDialog/cmCursesLongMessageForm.cxx.o
> wattr_off  CMakeFiles/ccmake.dir/CursesDialog/cmCursesLongMessageForm.cxx.o
> ld: fatal: symbol referencing errors. No output written to ../bin/ccmake

This bug is still not fixed in the contemporary cmake-3.2.2. Explanation:

SUN/Oracle Solaris typically has two `curses' packages installed : traditional Unix `curses' and GNU `ncurses'.

The wise cmake builds itself against headers of GNU `ncurses', but links with Unix `curses' with obvious result above.

To workaround, you could uninstall either Unix `curses' or GNU `ncurses' development package.

Konstantin Andreev
Software Engineer
Swemel JSC