[CMake] Alias of imported target

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue May 5 13:01:05 EDT 2015

CHEVRIER, Marc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently it is not possible to create an alias target for an imported
> target (I.e. add_library with ALIAS keyword). But I don’t understand what
> is the technical constraint or semantic reason behind this limitation. If
> anybody can explain this limitation, it will be nice.

It was designed with as many restrictions as I could think of (everything
which was not part of the need to add it at all):

 http://www.cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=370bf554

The restrictions are there because they are easy to lift later when a need
arises without breaking user code. It also means that design considerations
which were not known or understood two years ago can be considered in
designing new interfaces.

Do you have a need for ALIAS IMPORTED libraries? Can you describe it?

Thanks,

Steve.