[CMake] Are CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS supposed to go on the link line?

Roman Bolshakov roolebo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 11:33:38 EST 2015

Apparently, command line to link executable is quite different from a
shared library (Modules/CMakeCXXInformation.cmake):

if(NOT CMAKE_CXX_LINK_EXECUTABLE)
  set(CMAKE_CXX_LINK_EXECUTABLE
    "<CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER>  <FLAGS> <CMAKE_CXX_LINK_FLAGS> <LINK_FLAGS>
<OBJECTS>  -o <TARGET> <LINK_LIBRARIES>")
endif()

  set(CMAKE_CXX_CREATE_SHARED_LIBRARY
      "<CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER> <CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_CXX_FLAGS>
<LANGUAGE_COMPILE_FLAGS> <LINK_FLAGS>
<CMAKE_SHARED_LIBRARY_CREATE_CXX_FLAGS> <SONAME_FLAG><TARGET_SONAME>
-o <TARGET> <OBJECTS> <LINK_LIBRARIES>")

CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS/CMAKE_C_FLAGS which are filled into
<LANGUAGE_COMPILE_FLAGS> don't go into a linker command for
executable.