[CMake] fortran compiler failed to compile simple test program

Ette, Anthony (CDS) Anthony.R.Ette at controlsdata.com
Mon Jun 15 13:53:06 EDT 2015

Brad,

Thank you for the response.  I suppose I should've provided more information about the platform up front.  Our system is a RHEL5 variant named "RedHawk Linux".  The kernel is a custom real-time kernel developed by Concurrent Computer Corporation and cf77 is a real-time port of the GNU f77 compiler so it doesn't surprise me this compiler is not covered inherently by CMake (I have asked the developers if a preprocessor macro is defined for future version of Cmake to latch onto).  The -lrt is the option to link to the concurrent real-time libraries which is the default for the compiler (regardless of rdynamic).  So my problem is that, given Cmake doesn't support natively, I need a way to "beat" it into submission.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I need to create a toolchain file to overcome this which is the path I've started down but Cmake is still identifying the compiler as GNU and attempting the same test program.  I've attached the toolchain file in its current state and the current output from the cmake command:

rts1-4:/home/bzpl46/sandbox/AE3007/C2/build> rm -rf redhawk;mkdir redhawk/;cd redhawk;cmake ../../ -DCMAKETOOLCHAIN_FILE=../../redhawk.cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/g++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- No build type selected, default to Debug
-- UNIX: 1
-- WIN32:
-- PYCMD:
-- PYSHMDIR:
-- UNIX: 1
-- WIN32:
-- PYCMD: python2.7
-- PYSHMDIR:
-- The Fortran compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working Fortran compiler: /usr/ccs/bin/cf77
-- Check for working Fortran compiler: /usr/ccs/bin/cf77  -- broken
CMake Error at /usr/local/cmake/share/cmake-3.2/Modules/CMakeTestFortranCompiler.cmake:54 (message):
  The Fortran compiler "/usr/ccs/bin/cf77" is not able to compile a simple
  test program.

  It fails with the following output:

   Change Dir: /home/bzpl46/sandbox/AE3007/C2/build/redhawk/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

  Run Build Command:"/usr/bin/gmake" "cmTryCompileExec1559089261/fast"

  /usr/bin/gmake -f CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1559089261.dir/build.make
  CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1559089261.dir/build

  gmake[1]: Entering directory
  `/home/bzpl46/sandbox/AE3007/C2/build/redhawk/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

  /usr/local/cmake/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report
  /home/bzpl46/sandbox/AE3007/C2/build/redhawk/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeFiles
  1

  Building Fortran object
  CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1559089261.dir/testFortranCompiler.f.o

  /usr/ccs/bin/cf77 -c
  /home/bzpl46/sandbox/AE3007/C2/build/redhawk/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testFortranCompiler.f
  -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1559089261.dir/testFortranCompiler.f.o

  /home/bzpl46/sandbox/AE3007/C2/build/redhawk/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testFortranCompiler.f:

  Linking Fortran executable cmTryCompileExec1559089261

  /usr/local/cmake/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script
  CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1559089261.dir/link.txt --verbose=1

  /usr/ccs/bin/cf77
  CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec1559089261.dir/testFortranCompiler.f.o -o
  cmTryCompileExec1559089261 -rdynamic

  /usr/ccs/release/7.3/lib_ia32/ld: cannot find -lrt

  gmake[1]: *** [cmTryCompileExec1559089261] Error 1

  gmake[1]: Leaving directory
  `/home/bzpl46/sandbox/AE3007/C2/build/redhawk/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'

  gmake: *** [cmTryCompileExec1559089261/fast] Error 2

  CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  src/namelist/CMakeLists.txt:3 (PROJECT)

This e-mail (including attachments) contains contents owned by Rolls-Royce plc and its subsidiaries, affiliated companies or customers and covered by the laws of England and Wales, Brazil, US, or Canada (federal, state or provincial). The information contained in this email is intended to be confidential, may be legally privileged and subject to export controls which may restrict the access to and transfer of the information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, interception or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may subject you to further legal action. Reply to the sender if you received this email by accident, and then delete the email and any attachments.