[CMake] wrapping a macro

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 10:51:26 EDT 2015

Hello,

Is it possible to wrap an existing macro that returns a result via one of its
arguments? I think it will be clear what I would like to do from the following
example:

if(${INTRINSICS_TEST_TYPE} MATCHES "compiles")
    macro(check_intrinsics_availability source var)
        check_c_source_compiles(source var)
    endmacro()
elseif(${INTRINSICS_TEST_TYPE} MATCHES "runs")
    include(CheckCSourceRuns)
    macro(check_intrinsics_availability source var)
        check_c_source_runs(source var)
    endmacro()
elseif(${INTRINSICS_TEST_TYPE} MATCHES "none")
    macro(check_intrinsics_availability source var)
        set(${var} 1)
        set(${var}_EXITCODE 0)
    endmacro()
else()
    macro(check_intrinsics_availability source var)
        set(${var} 0)
        set(${var}_EXITCODE 1)
    endmacro()
endif()

This does not have the intended effect: when INTRINSICS_TEST_TYPE == "compiles",
cmake prints "Performing test var - Failed". Evidently I'd like it to perform
test ${var}, in other words, the check_intrinsics_availability macro should
behave exactly as either check_c_source_compiles or check_c_source_runs.

Additionally, the "none" and fallback cases are supposed to behave if
check_c_source_?? succeeded or failed, respectively. Are they implemented
correctly?

Thanks,
R.