[CMake] CMake IR

Nicolas Desprès nicolas.despres at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 02:53:10 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc <cmake at cmake.org>
wrote:
[...]

> @Nicolas:
>
> Yes, these tools indeed have been working for the past few decades. Others
> also suggested why don’t I generate CMakelists.txt instead?
>
> The problem is that the current limitations of CMake all originate from
> the way the workflow is organized. Multi-configuration makefiles are
> trivial to implement if you do them by hand. All targets append the
> architecture after their name (app-x86, app-x64, lib-x86, etc.) and there
> were all-x86 and all-x64 targets, and there were the usual “all” target
> that references all-x86, all-x64. In CMake the workflow is baked into
> selecting an architecture at the earliest points in the configuration
> process and stores it as a global variable (state!) which then shoots all
> multi-configuration generators in the knee.
>
> Yes, it is possible to remove this limitation from CMake, but it would
> take roughly a year. Holding onto this limitation alone just because it is
> historically the way how CMake has been designed immediately rules it out
> from ~75% of application development going on in the world in the future
> (mobile app devel), which is funny because building cross-platform mobile
> apps is the future, and this is just the market that could benefit of CMake
> the most.

I always used CMake for generating Makefile targeting a single
architecture. I tried few times to generate Visual Studio project and XCode
project and my first impression was quite good. But I have not a lot of
experiences in this area. I agree with you that the users will need multi
architecture support more in the future.

--
Nicolas Desprès