[CMake] [cmake-developers] CMake IR

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Jul 30 10:48:00 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 9:30 AM, David Cole <DLRdave at aol.com> wrote:
> json is SOOO much sexier than XML..... ;-)

shiny, shiny json :-)

Agreed, json is not covered with ugly-stink.  I like it and use it daily.

I'm not at all sure that stateless build languages are a win in the
multiplatform general case.
They  probably work well as a way to feed parameters to a single build backend,
but not so good as a way to handle multiple backends.
gyp is one attempt to do this, and it worked, but it's painful to use
and requires deep
understanding of the gyp model.

So, +1 for the idea of adding a better language on the side of cmake,
-1 for adding multiple languages (especially anything from Microsoft), and
-1 for going fully stateless.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the cache, it's a bizarre concept that appears
to be a workaround for users who can't stand starting cmake from a script,
and it complicates my cmake scripts, but that's not a battle I'd like to wage.
- Dan