[CMake] Announcing a (potential) new CMake project!

Jeremy Moles cubicool at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:23:41 EST 2015

Hello everyone! My name is Jeremy, and I've been working with AlphaPixel
(http://www.alphapixel.com) for the last 3 years. Similar to other
companies of the type, Chris (our CEO), gives the employees the
opportunity to frequently work on projects that don't always directly
relate to the contract work at hand. Lately we've been tossing around
the idea of working on a project related to CMake, and before I set out
to begin hacking, I wanted to ping the lists and make sure I'm not
duplicating existing work or putting effort into something that won't
ever see any use.

Our idea is to create a website (and corresponding frontends) that acts
as a kind of universal, well-known CMake module repository. This would
be a central place where all (or as many as people are willing to
commit!) CMake files are hosted, version-controlled, reviewed, and
easily accessible with a number of different API's and frontends. Of
course, CMake itself includes a large number of modules with each
release, but our service--which we are calling CMakeSys
internally--would serve as a kind of "stomping grounds" before the
modules are formally integrated with CMake proper.

My idea is to build the core of CMakeSys as a web service that responds
to specially formatted (and sometimes necessarily long) GET requests.
Further, in addition to specifying the language of choice for your
project, the modules you need, etc., the service will also be able to
package up a skeleton directory layout for your project as a zip archive!

I envision this service acting not only as a central repository for
CMake modules, but also as a place where, going foward--and in parallel
with CMake's recent widespread adoption--many different CMake usage
paradigms are established and developed.

At this point, we're soliciting any input the community might have on
our idea. I am aware of the project biicode (http://web.biicode.com)
which is somewhat similar to what we're trying to create, although
CMakeSys could potentially be a (or THE) repository this project uses as
well.