[CMake] CMake and Visual Studio multiconfig solution

Mauro Ziliani mauro.ziliani.tmp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 13:11:12 EDT 2015

Hi all.
My name is mauro and i am a freelance programmer and I work different
platforms: windows and Linux.
I'm trying cmake 3.3.1 and I am in trouble to do this.

I need to compile my app with visual studio and achieve the follow
behavior. If I compile the app in debug configuration I need to append the
suffix _dbg to the app name, nothing in release configuration.
That is, if the app's name is test in debug configuration I'd like to
obtain test_dbg.exe.

Using makefile and make command I can obtain the same behavior by
conditional compilation with command

make BUILD=debug ====> test_dbg.exe

My CMakeLists.txt is

--------
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.3)

Project(test_vs)

add_executable(test test.cpp)

set_target_properties(test PROPERTIES DEBUG_SUFFIX "_dbg")
------

But it doesn't work.

Either for debug and release configuration the app's name is test.exe

Any ideas?

Best regards,
   Mauro