[CMake] Imported libraries and cross platform target names

Ette, Anthony (CDS) Anthony.R.Ette at controlsdata.com
Thu Aug 20 20:06:37 EDT 2015

Ok so I’ve got this going now (kind of) but FIND_LIBRARY doesn’t seem to update when the specified PATH changes.  Since we are developing and releasing our own static libraries on a separate development cycle from the final applications, a final application may use a different library release than another.  This means the application developer needs a method to point to different library releases (different locations on the filesystem).  We’ve always used environment variables for this and the developer issues a “workon” prior to developing an application.  The workon sets up all the necessary env vars but FIND_LIBRARY doesn’t update when the env var does.  For example, using either method 1 or 2 below to set an internal cmake variable doesn’t do the trick for the FIND_LIBRARY command to pick up a new libtest file in the new location.

1)      FILE(TO_CMAKE_PATH $ENV{LIB_DIR} LIB_D)

2)      SET(LIB_D $ENV{LIB_DIR} CACHE STRING "lib dir" FORCE)

FIND_LIBRARY(libtest     NAMES test     PATHS {LIB_D} NO_DEFAULT_PATH)

I’ve also tried using the env string directly in the FIND_LIBRARY command as below, but the library being used in the build tree Makefiles still does not get updated.  I’ve also confirmed that the env var is  updated when CMake is rerun using MESSAGE command, so I believe it is merely a problem with triggering a change to the FIND_LIBRARY command.  How does this triggering work?  How can I force FIND_LIBRARY to check again each time CMake runs?

FIND_LIBRARY(libtest     NAMES test     PATHS $ENV{LIB_DIR} NO_DEFAULT_PATH)

Thanks,
Anthony Ette
Control Systems Engineer

Rolls-Royce Controls and Data Services