[CMake] on cmake supporting one arch per project (from CMake IR)

Raymond Wan rwan.work at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 21:53:03 EDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Scott Aron Bloom <scott at towel42.com> wrote:
> I understand.. However, my point are these.
>
> First, its no longer just windows, its windows and mac using XCode.
> Second, VS and XCode ALREADY support this feature in their IDE.  In NON CMake created project systems, I can have in 1 project, Arm, Android, Windows Phone, x86 and x64.  Where some applications in the project get built, others don’t, and every library can get built with different options.  This isn’t a CMakeLists.txt issue, it’s a Solution "output" from Cmake issue.
> Third, its on linux as well, more and more IDEs support multiple targets and platforms for a given project.  Eclipse, and I believe Qt Creator (though I could be wrong) to name two popular ones.

Hmmmm, well, this last point raises the question of whether the
support you're asking is best served by the IDE developers by
"wrapping around" CMake (or some other build tool).

> Fourth, just because it "was this way" doesn’t mean "it should always be this way", that’s a pretty depressing point of view to take on.
> All we are asking for (and we do realize its not trivial to implement) is to generate both multiple configuration and targets.

It is a depressing view and not quite what I was suggesting.  It's
more like "was this way" is working for some people already.

The new feature that you and some others are asking for seems to be a
lot of work (NB:  I'm not a CMake developer).  And it *feels* like
that this is something that either the build tool could support or
maybe even the IDE.  As the IDE here is closed source and doesn't
permit changes, then changing the more open build tool is the next
logical step.  But if effort is put into making some CMake 4.0 and
suddenly VS's IDE puts what you desire out within the IDE, then there
will be no users.  Or, not enough to justify the effort...

Again, I'm not a Windows developer, but would this statement be
correct?  Does VS or Xcode permit "plugins" to be created by the
community so that maybe one could be made to "wrap around" CMake?

Ray