[CMake] cmake 3.0.0 generating VS sln file default target machine type x86 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 09:54:11 EDT 2014

On 09/29/2014 03:46 PM, Su, Simon M CTR USARMY ARL (US) wrote:
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Thanks for sharing. I guess I originally wanted to ask if there is a switch
> to cmake that will allow picking 64-bit by default if 64-bit version is
> available.
>
> My understanding is that (for VS2013 Express), if you run things from a
> VS2013 x64 Cross Tools Command Prompt, you will get environment setup for
> doing all things 64-bit and you will get "Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64" as
> default generator when you run cmake from that command prompt. And if you
> run from within "Developer Command Prompt for VS2013" command prompt, you
> will get all the 32-bit environment setup and get "Visual Studio 12 2013" as
> default generator.

Like I tried to explain this is not the case.

The command line environment doesn't have any effect on which generator
CMake will pick.

When you run CMake from a plain "cmd" or a "Visual Studio 8 2005"
command prompt you will still end up with the "Visual Studio 12 2013"
generator by default (assuming 2013 is the newest available and known
visual studio installation).

Nils