[CMake] cmake 3.0.0 generating VS sln file default target machine type x86 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 00:57:03 EDT 2014

On 9/26/14, Su, Simon M CTR USARMY ARL (US) <simon.m.su.ctr at mail.mil> wrote:
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> For some reason, when running cmake in VS2013 (express) x64 Cross Tools
> Command Prompt is not picking up the Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64 generator
> by
> default for this project. But when I added
>
> -G "Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64"
>
> To cmake, it generated x64 project files and I am able to generate 64bit
> library from command line with msbuild command.
>
> Thanks
> -simon

In my experience, CMake always generates the 32-bit version by default
(and the generator doesn't let you switch in the project). I consider
this extremely annoying. I only have 1 Visual Studio version installed
so it can't be picking up other versions.

> -G "Visual Studio 12 2013 Win64"

I always have to use that switch. Aside from picking 64-bit by default
or getting a project generator that correctly allows switching within
the project, I wish there was a way I could just request 64-bit with a
command line switch independently of the Visual Studio version. In the
case where I am working with people with different versions of Visual
Studio and we share build scripts, I have no easy way of controlling
64-bit without knowing exactly which Visual Studio version is
installed.

Thanks,
Eric
--