[CMake] Interaction between source COMPILE_FLAGS and directory COMPILE_OPTIONS

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Thu Nov 20 08:48:59 EST 2014

On Wed, 2014-11-19 at 22:55 +0000, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> The documentation for the source property COMPILE_FLAGS describes it
> as, "Additional flags to be added when compiling this source file."
> However, when using the Visual Studio 2013 generator (at least), it appears
> to replace (rather than complement) the options added via the directory
> property COMPILE_OPTIONS.
>
> It (i.e., source COMPILE_FLAGS) also replaces options added by setting the
> CMAKE_<LANG>_FLAGS variable.
>
> Is this the intended behavior?

Actually, let me amend this a bit... Upon further testing, the flags
that seem to be affected are the ones that disable warnings (i.e.,
"/wdXXXX").  That is, if I add these flags in the source COMPILE_FLAGS,
they replace any "/wdXXXX" flags specified in the directory
COMPILE_OPTIONS. AFAICT so far, other flags in the directory
COMPILE_OPTIONS are left intact.

I am using CMake 3.0.2.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden at endoframe.com>