[CMake] Parallel generation of make files

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 08:03:03 EST 2014

On 11/18/2014 01:19 PM, noop at posteo.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to understand if it is possible to generate make files in
> parallel. The build process I am looking at suffers from a slow make
> file generation. I understand that once the generation is done I can
> call make -j XY to build in parallel; but what I am after is to  to
> generate the make files in parallel. Something like a cmake -j XY. Is
> that possible?
>
> If not, if found http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Performance_Tips, is
> there other information I should be aware of?

I don't think CMake supports parallel generation.

I am not sure if it pertains configuration more than generation (though
I am guessing you might mean both) but requiring a more recent cmake
release (cmake_minimum_required(VERSION))
might also improve performance since newer policy behavior might be more
efficient than old behavior and unset policies might slow it down
further since cmake might have to compute both behavior alternatives for
diagnostic comparison.

Nils