[CMake] CPack: .desktop files with tar.gz maker?

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 18:50:32 EST 2014

I have a build and packaging system where I can distribute (mostly)
standalone apps for Linux desktop. I am using the default CPack
installer which creates .tar.gz, .Z, and .sh files.

I like this opposed to the .deb/.rpm package systems because users
don't need root access to install/use my stuff (and can place
anywhere), and I only need a single package for all Linux desktops.

But it's pretty plain-Jane and it would be nice to provide an icon or
something. So I was wondering if anybody had
suggestions/advice/strategies on supporting .desktop files. As far as
I can tell, I need paths to the icon and the executable, which is
completely variable based on where the user puts it. And I'm not sure
where this file is supposed to be written to. (Remember that I don't
use root access.)

Thanks,
Eric
--