[CMake] Problems with CMP0037

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sun Nov 2 14:13:50 EST 2014

On 2014-11-02 18:52+0100 Andreas Naumann wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> with cmake 2.8.12.1 I can confirm this behavior at least for Makefile
> generator on Linux, see the attached small CMakeLists.txt. But what would be
> a better behavior? Changing the target name would change the output at end.
> So the user would have to figure out, what changed why. At this point, I
> would prefer the current behavior, because cmake does at least with the
> Makefile generator, the same thing as the user writes.
> So the warning is  appropriate.

Absolutely!  For now, a warning is essential because bad things could
happen for target names with slashes in them that propagate to the
filename level on Unix platforms.  But all I am saying is in the
long-term it would be a good idea to make it impossible for those bad
things to happen so the current constraints on what is allowed for
target names could be relaxed.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin