[CMake] What generator(s) should be used for MinGW-w64?

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sat Nov 1 14:24:58 EDT 2014

On 2014-10-30 14:07-0700 Alan W. Irwin wrote:

>[...] Furthermore, there is an MSYS2 project (a completely independent
> project from MSYS, see <http://sourceforge.net/p/msys2/wiki/Home/>)
> which _is_ API-compatible with MinGW-w64 since it is built with that
> compiler.
>
> The combination of MinGW-w64 and MSYS2 seems fairly well documented
> (see the above wiki reference).  It appears for example, this
> combination is a "lite" version of Cygwin.  So I assume
> that if MSYS2 is on the PATH, then the "Unix Makefiles" generator
> is the correct one to use for this case (since that is the
> recommended generator for Cygwin), but I would like confirmation
> of that if someone here has experience with the combination
> of MinGW-w64 and MSYS2.

I did get what appears to be an excellent answer to the part (not
quoted) of my original question concerning MinGW-w64 alone which I
have passed on to PLplot developers who are in a position to utilize
that information, but so far nobody here has answered the above part
of my question.

MSYS2 appears to be fairly popular at SF. The weekly download
statistic of nearly 8000 at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/>
is obviously inflated by the number of different packages that have to
be downloaded for an MSYS2 installation, but nevertheless that overall
download statistic is still pretty impressive.

Is there really no practical CMake experience here with the combination
of MinGW-w64 and MSYS2?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin