[CMake] PDB generation

Jeff Trawick trawick at gmail.com
Wed May 21 12:54:58 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Scott Aron Bloom <
scott.bloom at onshorecs.com> wrote:

>  At some point in the 2.8 lifecycle, the choice was made to no longer
> copy the .pdb files on windows builds with the .lib that is generated.
>

> I found a note somewhere, that there was “good” reasoning for it.. And in
> general, I agree, for many applications you don’t need the pdb files for
> static libraries.
>

> However, if the target of your project IS a static library that you supply
> to customers for integration into their toosl, you NEED to supply the pdb
> otherwise they are stuck getting the “pdb not found” warning message.

FWLIW, here's how I handle it:

a) Provide INSTALL_PDB option for my project which defaults to ON for
Windows

b) track which pdb files might be available by updating install_bin_pdb and
install_modules_pdb with targets that need to be copied

e.g., for some executable target named by the pgm variable:

SET(install_bin_pdb ${install_bin_pdb} ${PROJECT_BINARY_DIR}/${pgm}.pdb)

c) with my other install logic

IF(INSTALL_PDB)
  INSTALL(FILES ${install_bin_pdb}
          DESTINATION bin
          CONFIGURATIONS RelWithDebInfo Debug)

  INSTALL(FILES ${install_modules_pdb}
          DESTINATION modules
          CONFIGURATIONS RelWithDebInfo Debug)
ENDIF()

> Is there any hope chance of bringing this back?
>
> Scott
>
> --

> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ

Born in Roswell... married an alien...