[CMake] Help - problem using MinGW in cmake builds

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri May 16 15:42:42 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-16 19:09-0000 Havis, Robert N -FS wrote:

> The cmake build using MinGW 32 bit is failing.
> The OS is Win 7 64 bit.
> Our build using cmake and Visual Studio 10 is successful.
> We reduced the path to a minimum, to prevent possible interactions with other software.
> We deleted the cmake_install.cmake, and CMakeCache files, and the build directory before running cmake.
> The screen echo from a build is in the attached file.
>
> Are there suggestions for next steps in debugging this problem?

Hi Rob:

My Windows experience is pretty limited and virtually all done with
MinGW-4.7.2 and the Wine-1.6.1 version of Windows.  But I do have some
suggestions.

Normally, the "MinGW Makefiles" generator just works.  I had a quick
look at your attachment, but could see no obvious reason why cmake
concluded that MinGW-4.8 was broken on your system. I did notice one
issue that is a faint possibility; sometimes cmake (and MinGW) do not
handle paths with blanks very well so you might want to try installing
CMake in a blank-free path, but that is likely a long shot.

Another possibility is you may have a version of CMake installed that
is somehow not compatible with MinGW-4.8.  Exactly what version of CMake are you using?
2.8.12.1 has worked fine for me recently with the "MinGW Makefiles"
generator and MinGW-4.7.2 on the Wine version of Windows, but I plan
soon to move to 2.8.12.2, and I think that is the version of CMake you
should be using as well.  You might also try using MinGW-4.7.2 as well
to see if that makes any difference.

A final possibility I can think of is that MinGW-4.8 is actually
broken on your system.  Can you directly compile and run simple
programmes with that compiler?

I hope these simple suggestions to help you isolate exactly what the problem
is will be of some help to you.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin