[CMake] Building a Windows project in both 32- and 64-bit mode using the nmake generator.

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Thu May 1 11:15:48 EDT 2014

On 01.05.2014 16:57, Rick McGuire wrote:

> I was able to build the project with these steps:
>
>       - Open the "VS2013 x64 Cross Tools Command Prompt"
>
> This is not something I'm familiar with...where do I find this?  Also,
> if this is something only available if you have the full Visual Studio
> installed, that is a problem.  We really need to have this project
> buildable using the free download version of the compiler.

It is a shortcut to vcvarsall.bat (with x86_amd64 as a parameter) in the
windows start menu as installed (on my system) by the "VS Express 2013
for Desktop" (free edition).

>       - Add  target_link_libraries(rexxapi ws2_32) to the end of
>     CMakeLists.txt
>

> what does the ws2_32 do?

ws2_32 is the windows' winsock2 library.
Without it I got unresolved symbols to winsock calls made by the project.
The existing comment in CMakeLists.txt about missing windows libraries
implies that this is a known issue.

>       - Create a "build" directory in the source directory
>
> to you mean at the trunk root, or some other location?  Do I need to
> copy the CMakeLists.txt or any other files there?

I created an empty directory called "build" inside the directory called
"main".
I did not copy any files there.
CMake will fill the directory when invoked from within.

Nils