[CMake] masm support in visual studio project generators

Someone Somebody temp4746 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 12:13:53 EDT 2014

Hello,

I'm new to cmake and trying to evaluate external will work for my projects.

But I encountered one issue in that CMake has no support for using masm
from visual studio project files.

CMake quite suprised me already by supporting nearly every feature that I
need without much effort but this single thing.

I can try and hack around it using add_custom_command but for that I need
to be able to have access to and intermeddiate directory to place the
output object file in and this needs to be per configuration type (debug,
release etc...) and I couldnt find a way to get access to this from cmake
(VS has a macro for this) and also adding object files this way is quite
nasty (add_custom_command supports prerocessors and code generators not
assemblers/compilers)

The other workaround I can think of is using an external project file
(include_external_msproject) but this both requires duplicating the
configuration done in cmake and creating a project for each visual studio
version I need to support which is what I'm trying to avoid in the first
place.

Is there any plan to implement this?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.