[CMake] OBJECT libraries and dependencies

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:00:00 EST 2014

Leif Walsh wrote:

> This looks like probably what I want, though I need to sit down and read
> the whole thread carefully.
>
> What's the timeline for this?  Anything in particular blocking it?  Any
> way I can help?

One of the reasons it is not already possible to link to object libraries is
to side-step issues of transitive behavior, I understand.

Hopefully by CMake 3.1 targets will support an INTERFACE_SOURCES property.
That together with INTERFACE libraries from CMake 3.0 should give you lots
of control over the transitive nature of such libraries. It may also become
possible to link to actual object libraries too in the process. I don't know
yet.

The work is blocked by the need to refactor the IDE generators to use the
cmGeneratorTarget::GetExternalObjects method.

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/9529/focus=9535

I think resolving that would require familiarity with some of the CMake C++
implementation and some of the pre-VS10 IDEs and generators or Xcode.

Thanks,

Steve.