[CMake] CMake Tools for Visual Studio 1.1 Released!

Nagy-Egri Máté Ferenc nagymatef at freemail.hu
Mon Mar 3 02:56:12 EST 2014

I use Notepad++ to edit CMake files (though since I usually generate VS2013 solutions for developing, I sometimes get lazy and just use the VS editor to make small changes, which now will definately happen more often 😊), and in Cmake there is an extra orange color to ${VARNAME} type constructs, which strike out all occurences of variable references.

With the lack of Intellisense in Notepad++, one cannot detect mistyping of variable names, because it will highlight everything that is prefixed with a $ sign and followed by curly braces. Althought adding Intellisense for Cmake language is well beyond the scope of a simple syntax highlighting add-in, as much as a challange it would be, I think people would apreciate it. (At least I would, if colors and squigglies could remind me that I mistyped a variable name)

Anyhow, if you open any CMakeLists.txt file in Notepad++ and see how much variable colors help distinguish them from other code, you can decide for yourself whether this is only my wish that it would also color those, or other might find it useful as well. It’s just the cherry at the top. 😉 Generally the Add-In rocks and is a great idea.