[CMake] Confusion regarding usage of find_package and PATHS or HINTS

jmerkow jmerkow at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 13:40:18 EDT 2014

Jc,

That is precisely what I do for superbuild.  This applies to non
superbuilds, its also helpful if we are running on a cluster, supercomputers
or machines that it is difficult to access the web (though superbuild URLs
can be local paths too). Its also helpful for people running multiple
versions (i.e. developers).  Lastly, it meshes well with our legacy makefile
system. Some packages cannot be integrated with superbuild as easily because
of license restrictions, so we need a way to search for these packages.

Im wondering why there isn't a way to pass paths to find_package in module
mode already.  If this would be a good feature, I would consider
contributing a patch myself to add this in.  Either making find_package(FOO
HINTS path/to/something) not force config mode and pass the hint to FindFoo,
or adding a new argument as find_package(Foo MODULE_HINTS
/path/to/something), or similar. Thoughts?

-Jameson