[CMake] Question regarding External Project add and VTK

jmerkow jmerkow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 17:48:25 EDT 2014

Hello,

I want to add VTK as an external project, but I have a few questions.

Looking online at examples of other projects using vtk as an external
project, many of them use a 'superbuild' style technique (example here from
the archives: [1]).
By that I mean that they have some option to enable SuperBuild (or a
seperate CMakeLists.txt file) then that adds all the external projects (i.e.
vtk or itk), and finally they add their own project as an external project
(obv with superbuild turned off).  I am wondering why this is done this
way..

What I would like to do it have options for these libraries (starting with
VTK) to download and build it if they wish. Doing it this way, all of the
other options are available to the user.

-Jameson

[1]
http://cmake.3232098.n2.nabble.com/How-to-use-VTK-as-an-ExternalProject-td6002193.html