[CMake] file INSTALL cannot set modification time on...

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 18:04:25 EDT 2014

On 29.07.2014 23:42, Eric Clark wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have had this problem with CMake for quite some time now. I have
> posted the question to this message board once before, but did not
> figure out a solution. Whenever I try to run cmake on a
> cmake_install.cmake file with all of the appropriate defines set, I
> always get at least one error where CMake "says it cannot set the
> modification time on a file..." This happens because the install has a
> bunch of install(DIRECTORY ...) commands and the usual install(TARGETS
> ...) commands. Everything looks great in the generated
> cmake_install.cmake file and if I run the command over and over again,
> it will eventually make it all the way through the install. However,
> this is not a pleasant workaround as I have to run cmake multiple
> times whenever I build my projects or build my installers. Sometimes
> it can take 10 to 20 times before I can get everything to copy over
> appropriately without errors.
>
> I have turned off all anti-virus and file scanning software,
> multi-processing, and all suggestions that were given to me before,
> but nothing seems to work. I have even installed older versions of
> CMake starting at 2.8.2 all the way up to 3.0.0. All of the CMake
> versions give me the same reproducible errors.
>
> If anyone has had this problem before or has any suggestions, please
> help... I can post my install files and batch scripts that I use to
> build the tree for my installer. Whatever you may need to help. I
> would really appreciate any help or suggestions as I have been trying
> to tackle this problem for almost a year now.

Hello again,

sorry to hear that you haven't been able to fix this yet.

If possible a self-contained and reduced (preferably plain CMake without
any batch scripts and with as few files as possible)
test case would be ideal to be able to reproduce and debug the issue.
Dummy files for the install could be generated by CMake so that no
additional large external files would be required for testing.

Have you been able to reproduce the issue on multiple systems or has
your testing been limited to a specific system?
If you were able to test it on multiple systems has this failed on every
test system or only on some of those?

Nils