[CMake] Considering contributing a FindPyQt.cmake module

Scott Kitterman sklist at kitterman.com
Fri Jul 18 14:37:13 EDT 2014

Hello,

I've just subscribed to the list with the intent of developing, contributing
and maintaining a module for FindPyQt.  I'm a long time packager/maintainer of
Sip4/PyQt4/PyQt5/QScintilla2 and such in Debian and Ubuntu.  I've also working
packaging PyKDE4 (which uses CMake).

There is an existing FindPyQt4.cmake that's maintained as part of KDE's
kdelibs [1].  I've noticed that this has been copied and used internally by a
number of other applications.  There have been a number of changes in the Sip4
related build systems recently (pyqtconfig is no longer provided).
Additionally, now that Qt5 is gaining momentum and PyQt5 is available,
FindPyQt4.cmake will need to be extended/replicated for PyQt5.

Given the above, I thought it would make sense to provide a new FindPyQt.cmake
that would replace (and be backward compatible with) FindPyQt4.cmake that
would work for both the new and old PyQt4 configure and with PyQt5 and have it
be actually in CMake so that there would not be multiple copies running
around.

I have working with the existing related modules sufficiently to be confident of
producing something useful.  I am willing to maintain it.  I would appreciate
feedback on the idea of doing this and having it in CMake.

I have reviewed all the new maintainer documentation [2] and subscribed all
the places it says to.

Scott K

[1]
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/kdelibs/repository/revisions/master/show/cmake/modules